Dating back to 1837, Kilmore is believed to be Victoria’s oldest inland settled town and is located in the Heart of Victoria. Situated near a gap in the Great Dividing Range, Kilmore is only 60km from Melbourne but offers all the luxuries of a small country town.
History and Heritage
Kilmore was originally a stop over for travellers and cattle driving teams. After the trip up from Melbourne, both man and beast would rest here before commencing the rest of their journey.
During the Gold Rush years Kilmore was a major stopover for miners and their families travelling to the gold fields. In its busiest times it was home to over 26 public drinking and boarding houses, numerous churches, schools and a large hospital.
Explore the Area
Today, Kilmore still offers the same respite to weary travellers and city dwellers looking for a country break. With its cosy bed and breakfasts, premier racing facilities, cafés, bakeries and classic country pubs, Kilmore truly is a place to recharge and rediscover yourself.
Being largely settled by Irish tenant farmers, the town has a distinctly Celtic feel making it the ideal home for the annual Celtic Festival.
Points of interest
- Old Police Station and BarracksAttraction & Historical landmarkPowlett St, KilmoreThis 2 storey red brick building was built in 1893 and became necessary due to the large police presence in town.
- Kilmore CourthouseAttraction & Historical landmarkPowlett Street, KilmoreDesigned by J J Clark, the Kilmore Courthouse was constructed in 1863. The building is an example of Victorian Romanesque style architecture.
- Whitburgh CottageAttraction & Historical landmark10 Piper Street, KilmoreThe cottage is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register meaning the significance of the cottage is recognised for both Kilmore and the whole of Victoria.
- Bindley House B&B CottagesAccommodation, Attraction & Historical landmark20-22 Powlett St, Kilmore03 5781 1142Bindley House was constructed in c.1862 for the surgeon, Dr Frank Lane Bindley, who was a prominent member of the early community of Kilmore. Bindley House is on the Victorian Heritage Register (VHR) and is classified by the National Trust and offers a unique style of B&B accommodation.
- Old Kilmore Gaol 1859-1891Attraction8 Sutherland Street, Kilmore03 5765 4010The Old Kilmore Gaol was a maximum-security prison in use from 1859 until 1891 when it was decommissioned and used as a butter factory.
- Kilmore Miniature RailwayAttraction & Railway heritageCorner of Ryan’s Road and Foot Street, Kilmore03 5781 1711The Kilmore Miniature Railway is managed by a group of volunteers and operates on local event days and also by special request.
- Old Post OfficeAttraction & Historical landmark2 Powlett Street, KilmoreBuilt in 1861, its exterior has remained untouched to this day, and is now home to the Kilmore and District Historical Society.
- Hudson Park Memorial CenotaphAttraction, Historical landmark & Military heritageCorner of Sydney Street and Skehan Place, KilmoreA memorial dedicated to those who lost their lives in World War One from Army, Navy and the Air Force.
- Kilmore HospitalAttraction & Historical landmark1 Anderson Road, KilmoreThe oldest section of this facility was built in 1859. Featuring a gorgeous bluestone façade, it can be seen from Kilmore Creek and is still an operational hospital.
- Kilmore Creek Heritage Art WalkTracks and trailsVictoria Parade, KilmoreA gentle walk along Kilmore Creek, telling the story of Kilmore through artist-designed panels and sculptures.
- The Guitar RoomAttraction19 Sydney Street, Kilmore0412 325 850Come and visit Australia's longest continually running guitar building school. It is a workshop where you can learn the art of acoustic guitar building and a one-stop shop for everything to get you playing.
- Kilmore Town HallAttraction & Historical landmark16 Sydney Street, KilmoreThe former town hall was built in 1894 and features a decorative facade with enormous Corinthian pillars.
- Kilmore Golf ClubAttractionAnderson Road, Kilmore03 5782 1123Visitors are welcome, bookings are essential for weekends.
- Kilmore Racing ClubAttractionEast Street, Kilmore03 5783 0700Kilmore’s home of horse racing. The Race Club hosts over 50 harness and turf racing meetings per year. The venue also includes on-course dining.
- Hume and Hovell MonumentAttraction & Historical landmarkMonument Hill Reserve, Monument Road, KilmoreLocated in Kilmore, this watchtower was erected to honour the explorers whose expedition played a significant role in establishing the colony of Victoria.
- The Meat RoomFood producers and purveyors26 O’Gradys Road, Kilmore East03 5781 1235 or James 0419 850 731The Meat Room is passionate about working with local pork, lamb and beef producers, to supply customers with premium, local produce.
- Maple Park Farm Farm stay and EquestrianAccommodation445 Saunders Road, Kilmore East0458241557Located an hour north of Melbourne CBD, Maple Park is your perfect escape to unwind amongst spacious gardens and a myriad of creatures eager to be your friend. Offering high end glamping options for farm stays or equestrian clinics/rallies.
This page was last updated on 15 February 2022.