An important local service centre and home to the Shire's Civic Offices, Broadford is surrounded by natural beauty and radiates small country town charm.
History and Heritage
In 1842, explorers Hume and Hovell camped near a creek they named Sunday Creek. This was the first time the area that is today known as Broadford was explored. Gold was discovered in Sunday Creek in the 1860s, and in the 1890s a large paper mill was built that continues to contribute to Broadford's economy today.
Historical houses in the area are testament to early settlement. Pioneer Cottage and the Broadford Courier Buildings provide a glimpse of the past by showcasing the building methods and living quarters of the area's first pioneers. You can also look at the antique printing presses and other printing equipment, and learn how this technology was used to provide news to the area.
Explore the Area
Broadford is located close to many natural attractions, including Mt. Disappointment State Forest, Mt. Piper, Mt. Sugarloaf and the Tallarook Ranges. If you're into sightseeing or bushwalking, we recommend exploring the glorious Mt. Piper. The views from the top of this natural beauty will not disappoint. If you're lucky, you might also get the opportunity to see the rare Ant Blue Butterfly, so keep your eyes peeled at all times!
In the centre of town, you will find a vibrant township with cafés, bakeries, parks and country pubs.
Broadford is also home to the renowned State Motorcycle Sports Complex which hosts various motorsport events and races throughout the year.
Points of interest
- Community Park TrailTracks and trailsHadfield Park, WallanThis trail runs through Hadfield Park and meanders along the well-vegetated Wallan Creek.
- Broadford Town Loop (Broadford Common)Tracks and trailsHigh Street, BroadfordA gentle loop trail around Broadford.
- Broadford Courier NewspaperAttraction & Historical landmark110 High Street, BroadfordThe Broadford Courier building is now home to a museum of local history, run by the Broadford and District Historical Society.
- The Old SchoolhouseAttraction & Historical landmarkHigh Street, BroadfordOriginally built in Hilldene, this building was relocated to Kurkurruc Creek in 1928 and used by the local community as their school until 1943.
- Mills CottageAttraction & Historical landmarkHigh Street, BroadfordThis fully furnished three-roomed pioneer cottage has been set up to help explain the lifestyle of Broadford's early settlers.
- Broadford Golf ClubAttraction30 Horwood Road, Broadford03 5784 1092Broadford Golf Course is noted for its outstanding greens, tree lined fairways, superb clubhouse and bar facilities.The bent grass greens are a great test and equal to any in the district.
- Broadford State Motorcycle ComplexAttraction260 Strath Creek Road, Broadford0416 275 422The Broadford State Motorcycle Sports Complex (BSMSC)is Victoria’s premier destination for motorcycling sports.
- Mount Piper Nature Conservation ReserveTracks and trailsJeffreys Lane, BroadfordMount Piper is a haven for local flora and fauna. It is also home to two exciting walking tracks.
This page was last updated on 20 January 2022.