Local military heritage
Seymour’s association with Australia’s proud military heritage started in early 1900 with the Seymour Camp (now the Australian Light Horse Memorial Park) and continues with the nearby Puckapunyal Military Area. As a result, Seymour and its surroundings are full of historical military landmarks.
During the late 1800s defence units regularly conducted training exercises in and around Seymour due to its suitable terrain.
In 1904 a troop of Light Horse was established at Seymour marking the official beginnings of military association with the region. Lord Kitchener, along with other officials, toured the area in 1910, to watch manoeuvres and recommended it as a mobilisation point for Victorian troops.
In 1942 American forces set up camp between the Old Seymour Camp and the Trawool Bridge. There were many army camps on both sides of the Goulburn River and several battalions of the AIF were formed here. In surrounding areas there were also several Prisoner of war camps including one that housed German prisoners; many were sailors from the surface raider Kormoran.
Puckapunyal — Contemporary Training Camp
Puckapunyal, or ‘Pucka’ sits just outside of Seymour and is one of the best-known army training camps in Australia. Since the Second World War a wide array of military units, of both the regular and reserve armies, have been based at Puckapunyal or used it for training. It is best known as the home of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps which first moved here in 1941. Find out more about Puckapunyal.
Walks, Memorials and Museums
Visitor Information Centre
This page was last updated on 16 September 2021.