Swimmers lapping it up at Mitchell Shire’s three outdoor pools
9 February 2018
Plenty of warm weather has seen a 146 per cent increase so far in attendances at Mitchell Shire’s three outdoor pools.
As of 31 January 2018, there were almost 10,000 visits to the Broadford, Seymour and Tallarook pools – that’s almost 6000 more than the same time last year and more than the entire previous outdoor pool season (9483 visits).
The increase in attendance was highlighted on Australia Day, with more than 500 extra people enjoying the free entry day than 2017.
The Splash Park at the Community Bank® Adventure Playground has also been well attended.
Mitchell Shire Mayor Rhonda Sanderson said it was fantastic to see the community utilising the pools and Splash Park.
“We’re very lucky to have three great outdoor pool facilities and the Splash Park for our community to enjoy,” Cr Sanderson said.
“Mother Nature has provided a number of warm days so far this season which has resulted in our facilities being extremely well used. On Australia Day alone, the average temperature at the pools was 36 degrees, compared to just 26 in 2017.
“Thank you to everyone who has visited the pools and Splash Park so far this season, and with plenty of warm days still to come, we hope to see even more people visit throughout February and March.”
Meanwhile, Mitchell Youth Services’ Seymour Splash event is on this Friday 16 February at the Seymour War Memorial Outdoor Pool. The gold coin donation event is from 4-7pm and includes pool inflatables, live music and a BBQ.
Free lap swimming is also being trialled at the Seymour outdoor pool from 6-8am on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the rest of the outdoor pool season. Bootcamp sessions will also be run at the pool on Thursdays at 6am.
For more information, please click HERE.<
FACTS AND FIGURES
- There have been 9991 visits to the three outdoor pools as of 31 January 2018. That’s 146 per cent, or 5993 visits, more than the previous year
- Broadford has seen the largest spike in attendance so far, up 195 per cent from 901 visits to 2661
- Seymour has risen by 148 per cent (2166 visits to 5391)
- Tallarook has increased by 96 per cent (991 visits to 1939)
- Over the three-day 2018 Australia Day long weekend, there was a 113 per cent increase in attendance from 2017 (a four-day long weekend)
This page was last updated on 22 February 2019.