Outdoor fitness classes introduced
Mitchell Shire Leisure Services staff are going the extra mile to support their community with the introduction of new outdoor fitness classes.
The Leisure team is taking their classes outdoors from Monday 25 May at Kilmore Leisure Centre and Seymour Sports and Aquatic Centre. This new initiative follows updated guidelines from the Victorian Government permitting outdoor exercise in groups of 10 people.
While Council-operated leisure centres, pools and gym facilities remain closed to the public, the new outdoor sessions will give community members a chance to engage with their instructors and continue their fitness journey.
Those wishing to attend an outdoor class must follow these conditions:
- 10 people per class
- Classes are $5 per session and paid at the start of the class via EFTPOS only.
- Bookings are open to members and the general public
- Bookings are essential and will only be taken 24 hours prior to the class (from 9am the day prior)
- Cannot book on behalf of other people
- Bookings are to be made by contacting Jake Martin (0408 168 597). Bookings will not be accepted through social media or any other way. Online booking options are being explored for future classes.
- Participants cannot travel between sites and need to select one centre to exercise at
- BYO towel, water bottle and yoga mat (if you have one)
- Weather dependent.
Classes will take place at both Kilmore Leisure Centre and Seymour Sports and Aquatic Centre on the following days:
- Monday: 5.30pm Bootcamp
- Tuesday: 9.15am Bootcamp
- Wednesday: 10.30am Seniors Walking Group
- Thursday: 5.30pm Combat/Shadowboxing
For those who choose to stay at home, Leisure will continue to share their popular livestreamed classes on Facebook.
Council’s Leisure Team is also re-instating the indoor pools at Kilmore and Seymour. It is hoped they will be ready to operate in early June (with some restrictions in place). The pools are currently being heated and treated. Once they are ready, water samples then need to be sent to the Victorian Government for approval before the pools can re-open.
Comments from Mayor Councillor David Lowe
“We’re thrilled to introduce outdoor classes as part of Mitchell Leisure Services. These classes will provide community members with an opportunity for face-to-face instruction in line with updated restrictions for group exercise.”
“Our livestreamed Facebook fitness sessions will also continue each week. We have received a great response to these videos and look forward to sharing more in the coming weeks.”
“It is a credit to our leisure staff that they have adapted so well to the current environment and are continuing to provide a fantastic service to our community.”
This page was last updated on 12 June 2020.