Community Award nominations now open
Do you know someone who deserves community recognition for their community contributions or want to celebrate achievements from some of our local groups and organisations?
Mitchell Shire Council’s Australia Day committee is now calling for Community Awards nominations ahead of the community’s 2022 Australia Day Community Awards and Citizenship Ceremony.
Anyone in the community can nominate an individual or group they believe deserve recognition for service to the community and fellow community members.
When making a submission, information included should relate to how the individual or a group fits the selection criteria, their dedication or service, achievements and demonstrated excellence.
Nominate online, or if you need a hard copy or assistance, please contact Council on 5734 6200 for assistance.
Nominations close 9am Wednesday 10 November.
This year, the five categories are:
Access and Inclusion
- This award recognises people with or without disability working in a voluntary capacity to improve access and inclusion for people with disability within Mitchell Shire.
Citizen of the Year
- A person who is over 25 years of age, must be an Australian Citizen who resides in Mitchell Shire and who has either made a noteworthy contribution during the current year and/or given outstanding service to the local community over a number of years.
Young Citizen of the Year
- A person aged 25 years or under, must be an Australian Citizen who lives in Mitchell Shire and who has made a noteworthy contribution during the current year and/or given outstanding service to the local community over a number of years.
Online or Community Event of the Year
- Community event of the year is bestowed upon a community organisation or community group who have staged a noteworthy event during the preceding year to the award. In 2021 this may include an online event as innovation is celebrated.
Community Group of the Year
- Community group of the year is bestowed upon a community group who has made a significant contribution and exceptional service to the local community in the current year or over a number of years.
Comments from Mayor Cr Rhonda Sanderson
“It is a great honour to stand up alongside some of our community’s most inspirational people on Australia Day to recognise their achievements and commitment to others,” she said.
“If you have thought someone deserves community recognition for the selfless work they put in or if you think a group is standing out in helping others, please put in a nomination."
“We all know it has been a challenging time over the past 18 months – but being able to host a small awards ceremony in Wallan earlier this year was a highlight.
“We hope to be able to do so again in 2022, COVID-19 permitting.”
This page was last updated on 23 September 2021.