Skip to main content
COVID-19 Coronavirus
Latest service changes: Resource recovery centres open for essential drop offs only for residents and local businesses.
View full list of service updates including previous announcements
News archive
Published Tuesday 23 April 2019
Tags:General, Media Release

Fire Danger Period ending on 1 May

The CFA declared Fire Danger Period will be lifted in Mitchell Shire on Wednesday 1 May.

But what does that mean? When can you burn off? Do you still need a permit?

Once the CFA declared Fire Danger Period is lifted, in most cases you can burn-off without a permit, but the following local laws must be followed.

  • In residential areas, Urban Growth areas (less than 0.4ha or 1 acre) and semi-rural areas, you can burn off on Wednesdays and Saturdays between 10am and 3pm. You’ll need a permit outside of these days and times.
  • In rural areas, you can burn off any day of the week.
  • From 1 October each year to the start of the CFA declared Fire Danger Period, you’ll need a permit to burn a windrow, stump, log or vegetation with a diameter greater than 75mm.

All open air burning requires notification to VicFire (1800 668 511) and fires are not to be lit on days of Total Fire Ban, smog alert days or during the CFA declared Fire Danger Period.

To obtain a permit, fill out a permit form or call (03) 5734 6200.

This page was last updated on 6 May 2019.