Bumper crowd joins community celebrations in Pyalong
Mitchell Shire was buzzing with excitement as a large crowd attended the Pyalong Memorial Gardens for the 2020 Australia Day Awards and Citizenship Ceremony.
The annual Australia Day Award recipients are
- Citizen of the Year – Kilmore’s John Perrett
- Young Citizen of the Year – Wallan’s Ebony Layley
- Access and Inclusion Champions (joint winners) – Seymour College Inclusive Education Class and Kilmore’s Paris Ingham
- Community Event of the Year – Broadford and District Historical Society’s 2019 Australia Day Exhibition
- Community Group of the Year – Seymour Agricultural and Pastoral Society
There were 38 people who became Australian Citizens on the day.
Pyalong Neighbourhood House hosted the celebrations.
“The Australia Day awards are a unique opportunity to shine a light on the achievements of people in our community and to say thank you to the wonderful people who give so much to our community every day,” he said.
“We also got to see more than 40 people from around the world become Australian citizens on the day. I remember becoming a citizen at an Australia Day celebration myself. It was a special day and I hope it will stay with them for the rest of their lives.
“It was a privilege to be part of the event and I would like to thank the Pyalong community for hosting us this year.”
“We arrived three years ago and now we are here today to receive our citizenship. It is brilliant – the ceremony itself was amazing. Doing it with my wife and daughter today was special – we could not be happier,” he said.
This page was last updated on 21 May 2020.