Applications now open for bushfire grants
Local groups interested in applying for the Victorian Government’s 2009 Bushfire Anniversary are encouraged to submit their applications to Mitchell Shire Council before Monday 8 October.
Announced last week, the Victorian Government is offering up to $5000 to groups for:
- commemorative events organised by community groups or councils
- restoration or rejuvenation of existing memorials to the 2009 bushfire events
- community development activities or initiatives that:
- improve community connectedness, social wellbeing and collaboration
- build, promote and strengthen a sense of community identity
- promote community health and wellbeing.
Mitchell Shire Mayor Councillor Rhonda Sanderson said the grants would help those groups interested in hosting small or large-scale events.
“Each community will want to celebrate in its own way, and these grants provide that flexibility with a range of event types available,” she said.
“There’s not much time to get an application together, so I would encourage groups to make a start now. Council will receive the applications and pass them on to the Victorian Government for consideration.
“The latest funding stream comes on top of the recent Mitchell Community Resources and Advocacy Group Community Foundation grant applications which are currently being considered. There will also be a second bushfire commemoration funding stream opening soon from the Victorian Government for community arts grants.”
Applications for the 2009 Victorian Bushfires Commemoration and Community Development Grants Scheme close on Monday 8 October.