Mitchell Shire is located less than one hour, 40km north of Melbourne, with the majority of our shire just outside of the suburban fringe, and the southern tip of the shire now within the Urban Growth Boundary.
Located in the heart Victoria and it is the second fastest growing regional municipality outside metropolitan Melbourne. With an easy commute to Melbourne, Mitchell offers the ideal lifestyle choice with affordable new housing and infrastructure to support a range of enterprises as well as access to education, health services, recreational facilities and shopping.
Mitchell Shire covers an area of 2,864 square kilometres and shares boundaries with Hume and Whittlesea to the south, Macedon Ranges, Mount Alexander and Greater Bendigo to the west, Strathbogie to the north and Murrindindi to the east. Mitchell Shire incorporates the townships of Beveridge, Broadford, Heathcote Junction, Kilmore, Puckapunyal, Pyalong, Reedy Creek, Seymour, Tallarook, Tooborac, Wallan and Wandong.
Mitchell Shire Council's Mission and Vision
Together with our community, create a sustainable future.
To diligently fulfil the role of local government in partnership with our communities, elected representatives and employees, to provide quality services, facilities and programs.
Mitchell Shire Council:
- Is committed to providing good governance and compassionate leadership
- Is committed to supporting our diverse community
- Values community involvement and vigour, and diversity of opinion
- Recognises the commitment of our staff
- Will protect and enhance our natural environment
- Will plan for and promote our future
- Will promote economic development within our municipality