Netball and tennis in Wandong and Australian Rules Football in Kilmore will receive a boost with $871,005 funding announced today through Sport and Recreation Victoria, Mitchell Shire Council and AFL Victoria.
The funding will be used to rebuild two netball/tennis courts and install lights at these courts at LB Davern Reserve in Wandong ($546,000) and to replace and upgrade lighting at JJ Clancy Reserve oval in Kilmore ($325,000).
Member for Northern Victoria, Jaclyn Symes MP, announced $466,670 towards the projects through Sport and Recreation Victoria’s Community Sports Infrastructure Fund. Council will fund the remaining $379,335 with AFL Victoria contributing $25,000 for the JJ Clancy works.
Mitchell Shire Mayor, Councillor Rhonda Sanderson said the funding was a welcome boost to bring these projects forward and help meet current demand.
“These projects will help ease pressure on sports facilities in our growing communities and encourage more young people and more women to take part in local sport,” Cr Sanderson said.
“Sport brings people together and helps create healthy habits and strong, well-connected communities. Many of our sporting facilities are ageing and need upgrades, particularly as demand continues to grow along with our community.”
Cr Sanderson thanked the Victorian Government for the funding.
“The Victorian Government funding is a very welcome addition to help ease the pressure on our rate base and to move these projects forward sooner rather than later,” she said.
LB Davern Reserve, Wandong
- Mitchell Shire Council: $296,000
- Sport and Recreation Victoria $250,000
- Two netball/tennis courts upgraded and lights installed (currently unlit)
- More than 185 members from Wandong Netball Club, Wandong Junior Football Netball Club and Wandong Tennis Club use the six courts at LB Davern Reserve regularly.
- The surface upgrades and new lights at the two courts will enable increased court use, particularly for junior females from Wandong Netball Club who have not been able to use the courts for night training.
JJ Clancy Reserve, Kilmore
- Mitchell Shire Council: $83,335
- Sport and Recreation Victoria $216,670
- AFL Victoria: $25,000
- Replace and upgrade oval lighting to meet Australian Rules Football competition standards.
- The new lights will enable night training and competition games to be played at the most heavily used oval in Mitchell Shire.
- The project will support increased participation and scheduling flexibility for Kilmore Junior Football Club, Kilmore Football Netball Club and Little Athletics