Mitchell Shire Council is continuing to work hard to improve its 1383km road network and more than 60 bridges, with three significant bridge replacements about to begin.
The $686,000 works will be conducted during May and June, with some road closures and detours in place to ensure the projects are completed in a safe and timely manner.
The first project is a $276,000 bridge replacement, funded by Mitchell Shire Council and the Federal Government’s Bridges Renewal Program, on Broadford-Pyalong Road.
Works will start on 21 May and will take 1-2 weeks, depending on the weather.
From 4 June, the bridge on Panyule Road will be replaced, while from 18 June the bridge deck on Tooborac-Baynton Road bridge will be replaced.
Both these works have been funded by Mitchell Shire Council ($410,000) and are expected to take 1-2 weeks to complete.
More details on road closures and detours associated with the three projects can be found below.
Mitchell Shire Mayor Rhonda Sanderson said the important bridge works would make travelling much safer.
“Our community has told us that improving our road network is a priority and projects like these bridge works are a great example of Council listening and delivering projects our community wants and needs,” Cr Sanderson said.
“We would encourage people using these roads during these works to be patient and factor in extra travel time to follow the detours.
“We understand this may cause a slight short-term inconvenience, but once complete, the works will make these roads much safer to travel on.”
For more details on the works or road closures, please contact Council’s Engineering Services Department on 5734 6200.
Broadford-Pyalong Road (works to start 21 May)
- Broadford-Pyalong Road closed at Gannon Creek – no vehicle access over the bridge for two weeks
- Closure at Northern Highway and Whitegate Road – local access only
- Local access only on either side of Gannon Creek bridge, but not across the bridge
- Detour via Whitegate Road and Northern Highway (10km) and Seymour-Pyalong Road and Northern Highway (15km)
Panyule Road (works to start 4 June)
- Panyule Road closed at Gardiner Creek – no vehicle access over the bridge for two weeks
- No access to Panyule Road or Duells Lane from Seymour-Tooborac Road
- Closure at Seymour-Pyalong Road – local access only
- Detour via Daisyburn Road, The Bridle Track and Seymour-Tooborc Road (19km) and Northern Highway and Seymour-Pyalong Road (32km)
Tooborac-Baynton Road (works to start 18 June)
- Tooborac-Baynton Road closed at Emu Flat-Baynton Road and Lancefield-Tooborac Road
- Closure at Lancefield-Tooborac Road and Dairy Flat Road – local access only
- Local access only on either side of McIvor Creek bridge, but not across the bridge
- Detour via Lancefield-Tooborac Road and Emu Flat-Baynton Road (9km)