Mitchell Youth Council is an advisory committee of Mitchell Shire Council and a youth development program. It provides an important opportunity for young people to have input into Council decisions.
Mitchell Youth Council:
- helps Mitchell Shire Council find out about important issues for young people in the local area;
- provides advice to Council about how these issues can be addressed; and
- develops local initiatives and projects for young people
Who is on Youth Council?
Mitchell Youth Council is divided into three Wards: North, Central, and South. Three Youth Councillors are chosen to represent the community at each Ward, making a total of nine Youth Councillors. Additional positions may also be created to ensure the Youth Council represents a diversity of views and experience.
Council’s Youth Development Officer facilitates the Youth Council meetings and activities. Special guests, such as the Mayor, CEO and Senior Councillors attend meetings from time to time.
Who can be a member of Youth Council?
To apply to be on Youth Council you must be 12 - 24 years of age and live, work or study in Mitchell Shire. Applicants should be motivated to make a difference in the community.
What is the Applicant Selection Criteria?
The applicant must:
- be aged between 12 - 24 years; and
- live, work or study in Mitchell.