- Our Shire is located less than one hour, 40km north of Melbourne, with the majority of our shire just outside of the suburban fringe, and the southern tip of the shire now within the Urban Growth Boundary.
- We are located in the heart Victoria and we are the second fastest growing regional municipality outside metropolitan Melbourne.
- Mitchell Shire covers an area of 2,864 square kilometres.
- Mitchell shares boundaries with Hume and Whittlesea to the south, Macedon Ranges, Mount Alexander and Greater Bendigo to the west, Strathbogie to the north and Murrindindi to the east.
- Mitchell Shire incorporates the townships of Beveridge, Broadford, Heathcote Junction, Kilmore, Puckapunyal, Pyalong, Reedy Creek, Seymour, Tallarook, Tooborac, Wallan and Wandong.
- Population approximately 35,995
- The highest population densities in the Shire are in the 5-17 and 34-39 age groups
- Key industry sectors by employment include manufacturing 15.6%, retail 13.2%, government administration and defence 12.3%.
- Other dominant industries include agriculture, manufacturing, construction, tourism, transport and storage, education, health services, business services and equine.
- An easy commute to Melbourne, Mitchell offers the ideal lifestyle choice with affordable new housing and infrastructure to support a range of enterprises as well as access to education, health services, recreational facilities and shopping.
For detailed information about localities in the Shire, the POZI mapping system can be a useful tool. Use the layers on the right hand side to activate various Planning, Environment and Community information.
Mitchell Shire population and household forecast
The Mitchell Shire population and household forecast is a carefully prepared estimate of how Mitchell Shire's population and settlements are expected to grow and change between the present day and 2031.
It is prepared and maintained by demographic forecast specialists ID Consultants with assistance from Council officers.
As well as providing overall population and household numbers for each settlement or area within Mitchell, the forecast predicts our future age distribution, household types and more.
Use the link below to access the forecast:
The Mitchell Shire population and household forecasts are designed to inform:
- Community Groups
- Students and the general public
The Mitchell Shire Council Community Profile found on ID Data includes results from the 2011, 2006, 2001, 1996 and 1991 Censuses of Population and Housing.
To achieve this, forecast.id® is formatted to present the data in simple, clear tables and charts with concise factual commentary.
To view a profile, click one of the following links: