HOME LIBRARY SERVICES
Home library services exist to provide services to users who - through reasons including disability, illness and limited mobility - are unable to access public libraries in person.
For further information or to register to receive this service please contact our Customer and Library Services on 5734 6200.
senior EXERCISE CLASSES in MItchell shire
You might have heard that resistance exercises are important as you get older. But why?
- Exercise can help you perform daily activities more safely and decrease the risk of falls and other injuries,
- It can help reduce the likelihood of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, osteoporosis and sleep disorders,
- It can increase bone mass and density, protecting against osteoporosis,
- It prevents muscle loss which helps maintain independence and
- It can minimise pain associated with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and lower back problems.
Senior Strength is a very low intensity, land-based program for those new to resistance exercise or with health complications. It aims to improve mobility, strength, stability, posture and everyday function. Exercises you can expect to see include body weight exercises, chair-based exercises, and the use of equipment including fit balls, dumbbells and ankle weights.
Senior Strength Classes are offered weekly at the following locations:
Mondays 10 am (residents only)
Wallan Multi-Purpose Centre
Mondays 12 noon
Broadford Living and Learning Centre
Wednesdays 10.30 am
Kilmore Leisure Centre
Tuesdays and Fridays 12 noon
Seymour Sports and Aquatic Centre
Tuesdays and Fridays 8.30 am
Casual seniors exercise classes are $6.40 or 10 pack passes are available for $62.
For more information contact:
Kingsgate Village/Kilmore Leisure Centre - 5734 0600
Seymour Sports and Aquatic Centre - 5735 1500
Broadford Living and Learning Centre - 5784 4006
Senior citizen clubs
Senior citizens clubs offer a variety of social, leisure and recreational activities to their members. Activities may include:
- playing cards
- line dancing
- occasional day trips
Most clubs meet on a weekly basis and charge a small weekly and/or annual membership fee.
For more information contact:
Broadford Senior Citizens Club
Phone: (03) 5784 3040
Address: 125 High St, Broadford VIC 3658
Kilmore Senior Citizens Club
Phone: (03) 5782 1022
Address: 7 Sydney Street Kilmore 3764
Seymour Senior Citizens Club
Phone: (03) 5792 1972
Address: 86 Anzac Avenue Seymour 3660
Wallan Senior Citizens Club
Phone: (03) 5783 1462
Address: 42-47 Bentinck Street Wallan 3756
This bi-monthly newsletter promotes positive ageing in Mitchell. It will keep you up to date with Council and community services, volunteer opportunities and events.
You can download the latest edition from the link at the bottom of this page. To go on the mailing list, phone 5734 6200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seniors Online is a Victorian Government website that aims to be the first port of call online for older Victorians. Subjects include:
- The Seniors Card program.
- Victorian Seniors Festival events.
- Better Health Channel information.
- Victorian Government programs.
- News, features, polls and photo galleries.
- Community contacts and directories.
Visit the Seniors Online website HERE to explore a wide range of useful information for you and your family.