australia day 2017
Australia Day is held on the 26 January each year. It is an opportunity to reflect on our nation's history, and to consider how we can make Australia an even better place in future. It is also a day where we reflect on our diverse society and landscape and the significant contribution that people and organisations make to our community each and every day.
On Australia Day, Mitchell Shire Council is offering a special offer for our outdoor pools. We'll also be presenting our Australia Day Awards and hosting a special Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony at the Pyalong community event. All welcome.
We've gathered a list of community events from across the municipality. Do you know of other community events to add to the list? Please email us with the details or send us a message on our Facebook page.
OUTDOOR POOLS (Broadford, Seymour and Tallarook)
Bring Ya Mate for FREE on Australia Day
It doesn’t matter whether you are a member or pay casually, you can bring a mate for FREE this Australia day at all Mitchell Shire Outdoor Pools (one free guest per person to the equal value and subject to weather). You can check opening hours for your nearest outdoor pool on our Outdoor Pools page.
Broadford Island Reserve, High Street, 7.30am to 3pm
- 7.30am : Free breakfast in Lions Park courtesy of the Broadford Lions Club
- 9am to 3pm : Children’s activities (animal farm, face painting and jumping castle)
- 10am : Flag raising ceremony with Australia Day Ambassador
- 9am to 3pm : Food stalls
- 9am to 3pm : Free musical entertainment
- 11am: Annual tug-of-war
10.30am to 2.30pm : Hang out at the Skate Park - skate coaching and entertainment
Kilmore Miniature Railway, Crn Ryans and Foote Street, 11am to 2pm
- Face painting
- Train rides for $2 and a free sausage and lamington with every train ride
Pyalong Community Centre and Memorial Gardens, 13 High Street, from 11am
- Mitchell Shire Council citizenship ceremony
- Mitchell Shire Council Australia Day Awards for Citizen of the Year, Young Citizen of the Year, Community Event of the Year and Access and Inclusion Champion
- Poetry reading by local youth and vocalist
- At the conculsion of the ceremony, refreshments will be served insde the Community Centre so that people can meet and talk to the Australia Day Ambassador - Dr Milosh Ivanovich and other dignitaries
Seymour Kings Park, Tallarook Street, 8am to 1pm
- 8am to 10am - Aussie breakfast
- 9am - Mitchell Shire Concert Band
- 9.30am - Flag raising ceremony
- 9.45am - Australia Day Ambassador speech with Dr Bulent (Hass) Dellal AO
- 10am - Australia Day Ceremony
- 10am to 1pm - Rotary Club BBQ, jumping castle, thong throwing, golf-nearest to the pin, handball competition, Mintie wrap tearing, Sheep shearing, Colouring competition, Seymour Car Club display, community display, the annual tug-of-war and lots more.
Wallan Mechanics Institute Hall/Free Library, 64 High Street , 8.30am to 10am
- Ceremonial activities
- Free BBQ sponsored by Wallan & District Community Group and Wallan Neighbourhood House.
Wandong/Heathcote Junction Sports and Community Centre, 12 Dry Creek Road, 8.30am to 10am
- Free breakfast
- Flag raising at 9am
- Pack a picnic, chairs and rugs
Unfortunately, in previous years we have had reports of people setting off illegal fireworks on Australia Day. Please ensure their pets are kept secure and indoors as illegal fireworks may occur on this day. If you see smoke or flames you should ring 000 immediately. If you see activity or behaviour that could potentially lead to a bushfire, whether reckless or deliberate, please call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
For more information on the history of Australia Day or other activities around Victoria, please visit www.australiaday.vic.gov.au