All phone enquiries and appointment bookings to the central booking number (03) 5734 6253.
What is the Maternal and Child Health Service?
Mitchell Shire Council maintains a dedicated team of Maternal and Child Health Nurses who provide a free family-centred service to parents and carers with children from birth to school age. Working in partnership with families the Maternal and Child Health Nurse offers guidance, support and information in all aspects of parenting, child health and development, maternal health and family well-being.
The Maternal and Child Health Service offers:
- 10 Key Age and Stage assessments where the individual health, growth and development of your child is monitored. At each visit you are given the opportunity to discuss any concerns, talk about your parenting experiences and learn how to improve your child’s health, growth and development.
- Maternal health and wellbeing assessment, information and advice.
- Health information, guidance and advice is provided on nutrition, feeding, parenting, development, safety and current immunisation practices.
- Appropriate referral to allied health services and health professionals.
- First time parents groups, to share information & develop social networks. For more information speak with your Maternal and Child Health Nurse.
- Families with additional needs are supported through our Enhanced Maternal and Child Health Service which offers in-home visiting support
- Our Family Support Worker offers in-home support to families in the early months with a focus on sleep and settling
- The 24-hour Maternal and Child Health Line 132 229 provides information, advice and support 24/7.
When to attend
The 10 Key Ages and Stages visits include a home visit and then centre visits at two, four and eight weeks; four, eight, twelve and eighteen months; two and three and a half years of age.
Additional visits are available for first time parents and families with particular needs.
TIMETABLE AND locations
Phone enquiries and appointment bookings can be made through our central booking phone line on 5734 6253.
We offer Maternal and Child Health services in Beveridge, Broadford, Kilmore, Puckapunyal, Pyalong, Seymour, Wallan and Wandong.
- Beveridge, Greater Beveridge Community Centre, Crn Lithgow St and Mandalay Circuit: Open Mondays, Wednesdays, alternate Thursdays
- Broadford, 150 High Street Street: Open alternate Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, alternate Thursdays and Fridays
- Kilmore, 7 Skehan Place: Open Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Puckapunyal, 26 Alamein Road: Open Wednesdays
- Pyalong, 12 High Street: Open alternate Wednesday
- Seymour, 55 Pollard Street: Open every second Monday, Open Tuesdays and Fridays
- Wallan, 71 Stanley Street: Open Monday to Friday
- Wandong, 16 Dry Creek Crescent: Open Fridays
Centres are usually open from 9am to 3.30pm.
Maternal and Child Health Timetable 2018 (PDF, 280K)
Please do not hesitate to contact Central Bookings on 5734 6253 for more information or to book an appointment.
Please note: Operating hours may vary over the Christmas and New Year holiday period. Please click here for more information.
For all appointment enquiries, or if you are new to the Mitchell Shire and have children between birth and 4 years, please contact the central bookings number on (03) 5734 6253 to make an appointment.
Immunisation is one of the safest and most effective ways to prevent illness.
Mitchell Shire Council provides an immunisation service to the community.
For more information visit our Immunisation page.
Maternal and Child Health Nurses provide breastfeeding information, support and advice.
Breastfeeding advice and support drop in service is available:
- Fridays from 9am-10.30am - Kilmore Maternal and Child Health Centre, 7 Skehan Place, Kilmore
You can also contact the Maternal and Child Health Line on 13 22 29 for more information.
Breastfeeding information and support is available through the Australian Breastfeeding Association website or the 24 hour Breastfeeding Helpline 1800 mum 2 mum; 1800 686 268.
For breastfeeding support services available within the region download the Breastfeeding Day Stay Information Flyer (PDF, 575K)
Baby capsules are available for hire through the Kilmore Community Centre and the Seymour and District Community House Inc. Please call to confirm availability,
Download the Capsule Hire Poster (PDF, 69K)
Visit our Community and Neighbourhood Houses page for locations.
Hire for Baby offers complete baby equipment hire.
Aboriginal Maternal and child Health Initiative
Mitchell Shire Council Maternal Child Health welcomes all Aboriginal children aged 0-5 years, their families and carers to participate in our culturally supported Aboriginal playgroups.
The playgroups will provide the opportunity to meet other families living in your community and offer information and cultural advice about services which promote the positive wellbeing of Aboriginal children.
The playgroup will feature lots of activities and information including:
- Music, Art and Dance
- Cultural celebrations and events for Reconciliation Week and NAIDOC Week
- Tucker tips, nutrition and traditional foods
- Information about our local Aboriginal early years, family and carer services
- Yarning circles
- Outdoor play
- Information about keeping connected to our families, country and community
The playgroups will be held in Seymour and Wallan.
Where: 55 Pollard Street
Thursday 5 April, 11am-1pm
Thursday 19 April, 11am-1pm
Thursday 3 May, 11am-1pm
Thursday 17 May, 11am-1pm
Thursday 31 May, 11am-1pm
If you require transport to attend playgroup, please feel free to speak with Julieanne James, Aboriginal Parenting Support Worker on 0439 847 568.
Where: Wallan Family and Children's Centre, 71 Stanley Street
Monday 26 March, 11am-1pm
Monday 9 April, 11am-1pm
Monday 23 April, 11am-1pm
Monday 7 May, 11am-1pm
Monday 21 May, 11am-1pm
Monday 4 May, 11am-1pm
If you require transport to attend playgroup, please feel free to speak to Julieanne James, Aboriginal Parenting Support Worker on 0439 847 568.