All phone enquiries and appointment bookings to the central booking number (03) 5734 6253.
What is the Maternal and Child Health Service?
Mitchell Shire Council maintains a dedicated team of Maternal and Child Health Nurses who provide a free family-centred service to parents and carers with children from birth to school age. Working in partnership with families the Maternal and Child Health Nurse offers guidance, support and information in all aspects of parenting, child health and development, maternal health and family well-being.
The Maternal and Child Health Service offers:
- 10 Key Age and Stage assessments where the individual health, growth and development of your child is monitored. At each visit you are given the opportunity to discuss any concerns, talk about your parenting experiences and learn how to improve your child’s health, growth and development.
- Maternal health and wellbeing assessment, information and advice.
- Health information, guidance and advice is provided on nutrition, feeding, parenting, development, safety and current immunisation practices.
- Appropriate referral to allied health services and health professionals.
- First time parents groups, to share information & develop social networks. For more information speak with your Maternal and Child Health Nurse.
- Families with additional needs are supported through our Enhanced Maternal and Child Health Service which offers in-home visiting support
- Our Family Support Worker offers in-home support to families in the early months with a focus on sleep and settling
- The 24-hour Maternal and Child Health Line 132 229 provides information, advice and support 24/7.
When to attend
The 10 Key Ages and Stages visits include a home visit and then centre visits at two, four and eight weeks; four, eight, twelve and eighteen months; two and three and a half years of age.
Additional visits are available for first time parents and families with particular needs.
TIMETABLE AND locations
Phone enquiries and appointment bookings can be made through our central booking phone line on 5734 6253.
We offer Maternal and Child Health services in Broadford, Kilmore, Puckapunyal, Pyalong, Seymour, Wallan and Wandong.
- Broadford, 18 Murchison Street: Open every second Monday, Open Tuesdays and Wednesdays (Please note: From Monday, 20 November, this centre will be located at 150 High Street Broadford.)
- Kilmore, 7 Skehan Place: Open Mondays and Thursdays
- Puckapunyal, 28 Alamein Road: Open Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- Pyalong, 12 High Street: Open every second Wednesday
- Seymour, 55 Pollard Street: Open every second Monday, Open Tuesdays
- Wallan, corner Stanley and Queen Streets: Open Monday to Friday
- Wandong, 16 Dry Creek Crescent: Open Thursdays
Centres are usually open from 9am to 3.30pm.
Maternal and Child Health Timetable 2017 (PDF, 282K)
Please note our Wallan service is now operating from the new Wallan Family and Children's Centre (corner of Stanley Street and Queen Street, Wallan on the corner of the Wallan Primary School).
Please do not hesitate to contact Central Bookings on 5734 6253 for more information or to book an appointment.
For all appointment enquiries, or if you are new to the Mitchell Shire and have children between birth and 4 years, please contact the central bookings number on (03) 5734 6253 to make an appointment.
Immunisation is one of the safest and most effective ways to prevent illness.
Mitchell Shire Council provides an immunisation service to the community.
For more information visit our Immunisation page.
Maternal and Child Health Nurses provide breastfeeding information, support and advice.
Breastfeeding advice and support drop in service is available:
- Wednesdays from 9am-10.30am - Seymour Maternal and Child Health Centre, 55 Pollard Street, Seymour
- Fridays from 9am-10.30am - Kilmore Maternal and Child Health Centre, 7 Skehan Place, Kilmore (Please note: Due to an all-day training session, the drop-in session scheduled for Friday 3 November 2017 has been cancelled)
You can also contact the Maternal and Child Health Line on 13 22 29 for more information.
Breastfeeding information and support is available through the Australian Breastfeeding Association website or the 24 hour Breastfeeding Helpline 1800 mum 2 mum; 1800 686 268.
For breastfeeding support services available within the region download the Breastfeeding Day Stay Information Flyer (PDF, 575K)
Baby capsules are available for hire through the Kilmore Community Centre and the Seymour and District Community House Inc. Please call to confirm availability,
Download the Capsule Hire Poster (PDF, 69K)
Visit our Community and Neighbourhood Houses page for locations.
Hire for Baby offers complete baby equipment hire.