Skip to main content
COVID-19 Coronavirus
Latest service changes: Resource recovery centres open for residents and local businesses (essential drop offs only).
View full list of service updates including previous announcements
About Council

Local laws

Our local laws are designed to protect our community by setting out how Council should be run, and protecting our residents behaviour that threatens public safety and community amenity. They only apply to Mitchell Shire.

We currently have 2 local laws:

  • Local Law No. 1 Community and Environment — ensures that the actions of an individual or group do not have an adverse impact on the rest of the community.
  • Meeting Procedure Local Law 2014 — sets out how Council is run to ensure impartiality, consistency and professionalism.

Meeting Procedure Local Law 2014

The purpose of this local law is to provide fair and consistent procedures that must be followed by Councillors by:

  • providing for the election of the Mayor
  • regulating the use of the common seal
  • prohibiting unauthorised use of the common seal or any device resembling the common seal
  • providing for the procedures governing the conduct of Council meetings and Special Committee and Advisory Committee meetings
  • setting the rules of behaviour for those participating in or present at Council meetings and Special Committee and Advisory Committee meetings

Local Law No. 1 Community and Environment

Local Law 1 is in place so we can respond to issues and community needs and:

  • provide for the peace, order and wellbeing of people in the municipal district by enhancing public safety and community amenity
  • provide for the safe and equitable use and enjoyment of public places
  • protect and enhance the environment and amenity of the municipality
  • regulate and control activities and behaviours which may be regarded as dangerous, unsafe or detrimental
  • allow uniform and fair administration of this Local Law

Read Local Law No. 1 Community and Environment 2013 below.

Local Law No. 1 outlines permits and procedures required for cleaning up after your animals, taking livestock onto roads as well as:

Infringement process

See our infringement process for information on:

  • paying for an infringement
  • asking for an extension or payment plan
  • appealing an infringement
  • failing to pay and infringement on time

Disputes with neighbours

We can help with barking dogs.

Council is not responsible for intervening in disputes between neighbours about trees or fences. You can find helpful information about these issues at Dispute Settlement Centre Victoria.

Noise complaints

If you have a noise complaint you can seek assistance from Council or police.

Contact the police on 000 if your issue is late night noise such as parties, or issues where noisy neighbours may also be threatening.

Council may be able to assist with long-term issues, machine or animal noise. You can make a noise complaint using our report an issue or incident form. Please note that to investigate a noise complaint, we require all your contact information.

For more information on noise complaints, read the Environment Protection Authority brochure 'Annoyed by noise? A guide to dealing with residential noise' (download below).

Other types of permits

Council issues other permits that do not fall under our local laws:

If you are planning to hold an event in Mitchell Shire, please see the organising an event page.

This page was last updated on 19 June 2019.