Skip to main content
Local laws

Infringement process

If you’ve received an infringement notice, you have breached a Council local law.

Your options are:

  • pay the infringement before the due date
  • ask for an extension of time to pay or a payment plan
  • appeal the infringement

Paying the Infringement by the Due Date

If you pay the infringement penalty by the due date, the matter will not be brought before Court; unless a Withdrawal Notice is sent to you before the due.

Paying in Person

Payment by cash, cheque, money order or credit card can be made in person at any of our Customer Service Centres.

Paying by Post

'Not negotiable' cheques and money orders can be made payable to ‘Mitchell Shire Council’. Return payment to Mitchell Shire Council, with the notice attached.

Payment is not deemed to be made until the cheque is cleared.

Paying over the Phone

Payment can be made over the phone by credit card. Phone Customer Service on 03 5734 6200.

Asking for an Extension or Payment Plan

You can request an extension of time to pay an infringement notice. Your request must be made in writing.

To find out if you are eligible for a payment plan, send your request in writing with the amount you are able to pay and frequency (such as $40 a fortnight) before the due date on your notice.

Send your request to Local Laws Coordinator at Mitchell Shire Council.

Appealing the Infringement

If you believe the infringement has been issued in error, you may request an internal review.

To apply:

  • complete the Application for Internal Review for an Infringement form (download below)
  • ensure your application includes an explanation of the circumstances surrounding the reason the infringement was issued
  • provide any documentation that will support your request, such as medical records or travelling documents
  • return your application in person at any of our Customer Service Centres; or
  • return your application to Mitchell Shire Council

If your appeal is unsuccessful you can ask to have the matter heard at Court. You are required to notify Council in writing of your intention.

Failing to Pay an Infringement on Time

Late Payment

If pay your infringement after the due date, there may be extra costs added.

Making Payment in Response to our Reminder Notice

We will send you a reminder notice after the due date. Extra costs are added at this stage. If you pay the original amount plus these costs before the new due date (28 days), the matter will be finalised.

Failing to Respond to our Reminder Notice

If payment has not been received by the new due date, a final notice is issued.

Still Not Paid – Being Summoned to Court

If payment is not received within 7 days, the infringement notice will be withdrawn and a summons issued for you to appear at Seymour Magistrates’ Court to answer the offence.

What Happens in Court

If you are found guilty in Court, you may receive a higher penalty from the Magistrate and be ordered to pay Council’s costs, which could add hundreds of dollars to the cost. You may be given a good behaviour bond, may be convicted and it may be listed against your name. If you are found not guilty in Court, Council will be ordered to pay costs and the infringement will be finalised.