Council holds Ordinary Council meetings, and meetings of the Community Questions and Hearings Committee. Both are open to the public. You can put questions and submissions to the Community Questions and Hearings Committee.
Next Mitchell Shire Council Meeting
Community Questions and Hearings Committee Meeting
This committee hears from groups in relation to matters of interest to the whole Mitchell Shire community. Those groups may be local residents, incorporated associations, industry groups or government associations.
Meetings are scheduled for the 2nd Monday of the month. If there are no submissions to be heard, the meeting will be cancelled.
Role of the Committee
The committee hears and reports to Council on:
- objections and submissions received from members of the public in relation to matters being heard by Council
- presentations from members of the community in relation to any issue they wish to raise with Council
- public questions received by Council from members of the public or others in relation to any issue they wish to raise with Council
Rules for Submissions
There are rules about who can speak, for how long, and how matters are determined:
Question Time — Responding to Public Questions
Time is allocated for members of the public to ask questions on issues in which Council has a direct interest or responsibility.
Questions must be submitted to Council by 12noon on the Friday before the scheduled committee meeting.
How to Lodge a Question
You can lodge a question via any of the following methods:
Rules for Council Meetings
Our meetings are run according to Meeting Procedure Local Law 2014, which sets out fair and consistent procedures that must be followed by Councillors.
It includes the:
- timing of announcements of Council meetings
- conduct of Council meetings
- correct procedure for elections, motions and voting
- range of other procedures that Council must routinely follow to make decisions that are considered, fair and valid