Council aims to reduce the amount of waste going to landfill by promoting the concepts of reducing, reusing and recycling.
Council provides residents within the waste management collection area with:
- a 240 litre wheelie bin for recycling and
- a 120 litre wheelie bin for rubbish.
There is no actual charge for the bin as it remains the property of Mitchell Shire Council. All ratepayers within the collection area are charged annually, on their rate notice, for the combined rubbish and recycling service. There are no exemptions for this charge within the residential rubbish and recycling collection area.
Non-recyclable rubbish/garbage is collected once per week. Bins must be placed at the kerb side prior to 6am on your designated collection day.
Want to know when you bin will be collected or what items you can put in your garbage bins? Have a look at the Rubbish and and Recycling page.
- The arm on a garbage truck can only lift a designated weight.
- If the load is too heavy the garbage will not be collected.
- Recycling bins are collected once per fortnight on your designated rubbish collection day.
- For more detailed information on Recycling Collection Days, a copy of the calendar is available here for download: Cleanaway Recycling Calendar.
- Please contact the Shire Office on (03) 5734 6200 to confirm your collection day.
Please contact Council's Customer Service Centre for advice if your rubbish or recycling bin is:
- Not emptied
- Damaged / stolen
- Not present at your new property
- If you are outside the collection area and want to know your waste management options.
Have a look at the Rubbish and and Recycling page for more information on what can and can not be recycled in your kerbside bin.
Resource Recovery Centres (Waste Transfer Stations)
Council operates several Resource Recovery Centres within the municipality. Resource Recovery/Waste Transfer tipping vouchers must be purchased PRIOR to disposal at the Site. For more information about the Resource Recovery Centre, visit the page here.
Please Note - All Resource Recovery Centres are CLOSED on:
- days of TOTAL FIRE BAN
- Christmas Day
- Good Friday
- New Years Day
- Other days as advertised.
For information on Total Fire Ban days contact the Victorian Bushfire Information Line on 1800 240 667 or visit http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au